Specialist construction and engineering law speaker and author
Are you are looking for an expert with a wide range of experience in construction, engineering and contract law, who can draw on vast industry knowledge to speak or write about a wide variety of subjects? If so, Michael Gerard of Michael Gerard Solicitors is a perfect fit.
As a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building and Vice Chair of the East Midlands branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Michael is well qualified to speak and write on a range of legal issues pertaining to construction and engineering.
Michael P. Gerard (MSc, PGDipLaw, PGDipBar, FCIOB, MCIArb, MAE)
Michael was called to the Bar in 2006 (Lincolns Inn) and since 2013 has been practicing as a solicitor specialising in construction, engineering and contract law. Michael is also a Chartered Builder and a panel registered Adjudicator with the Royal Institute of British Architects and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Michael is the founding partner of Michael Gerard Solicitors, and provides legal services on matters such as pre-action protocol, adjudication and ADR (including mediation and negotiation), and contract drafting / review. Clients include principal and specialist contractors, local authorities, industry professionals and employers.
Michael’s experience includes a range of public and private sector projects from schools, hospitals and housing to military and nuclear installations.
Possible construction and engineering speaking topics
Michael has been invited to speak at prestigious industry bodies such as The Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB). Due to the pandemic, his recent speaking engagements have taken place as webinars.
Commenting on a recent webinar titled ‘Introducing Adjudication and Mediation as part of the Alternative Despite Resolution Family,’ Les Carter, chairman of the Norwich and Cambridge branch of CIOB said:
“Michael delivered a talk on the thorny topic of dispute resolution and the variety of methods in a concise, precise and informative way. He also took the time to fully address the questions attendees raised. This left all attendees far better informed than before they attended. Overall a thoughtful and insightful event.”
Michael is amply qualified to speak on all the topics below, as well as taking part or chairing a panel discussing these or other similar subjects:
• Insolvency in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic
• Adjudication – statutory and contract
• The Scheme for Construction Contracts (England and Wales) Regulations
• JCT contracts
• Claiming and defending damages for disruption and delay
• Forms of dispute resolution in the construction industry
• Pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes
• Construction contracts: getting paid, what happens if there is no written contract, latent and patent defects, delays, termination
• Collateral warranties and PCGs
• The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 (as amended by the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009)
Portfolio of work
Michael has been involved in numerous instructions relating to tribunals and case management as well as in excess of 100 adjudications.
Michael has a monthly column in Leicestershire Builder magazine and regularly has articles published in the media. He also lectures on various aspects of construction law including set-off, statutory and contract adjudication, the HGCRA, formulae for (and recovery of), overheads and profit, Romalpa clauses, standard forms of contract, formation of contracts, practical completion, damages for breach of contract, patent and latent defects, limitation of action, damages and penalties for delay, and delay & disruption.
His articles have been featured in
• Architects’ Datafile
• Building, Design & Construction Magazine
• Building Engineer
• Charted Association of Building Engineers
• Chartered Builder & Engineer
• Construction Excellence UK
• Construction Index
• Construction Online
• Construction UK
• PBC Today
• Planning and Building Control Today
• Roofing, Cladding and Insulation